Chicken with Curried Couscous
Couscous, a tiny, pre-cooked pasta grain, soaks up the wonderful flavors in this dish. Feel free to replace chicken with an equal amount of sliced tofu. Steamed green beans tossed with slivered almonds makes an elegant side dish. Follow with plain yogurt drizzled with maple syrup for dessert.
|1 Tbsp. NOW Real Food® Extra Virgin Olive Oil*|
|12 oz. skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips |
|4 cloves garlic, minced |
|1/4 cup vegetarian Worcestershire sauce |
|2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar |
|1 (14-oz.) can chicken or vegetable broth |
|1 tsp. dried oregano |
|Salt and pepper to taste |
|1 cup finely chopped onion |
|3/4 tsp. curry powder |
|1/3 cup raisins or currants |
|1 cup NOW Real Food® Organic Whole Wheat Couscous*|
- In a large skillet, heat 1/2 tablespoon oil until hot.
- Saute chicken strips until no longer pink.
- Add 2 cloves minced garlic, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, 1 cup broth and oregano; simmer gently, covered, while preparing couscous.
- In a separate skillet heat remaining oil over moderately high heat.
- Add onion; cook until lightly browned.
- Reduce heat, and add remaining 2 cloves minced garlic and curry powder, then cook, stirring, until garlic is golden; remove from heat.
- In a small saucepan bring remaining broth to a boil, then stir in raisins and couscous. Cover; remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Fluff couscous with a fork; transfer to a large serving bowl.
- Stir in onion mixture and serve with chicken on the side.
Per serving: 215 calories
0.5g saturated fat
*NOW items available at your local health food store