Maple Apple Pilaf
Adapted from the Vermont Maple Festival Cookbook, St. Albans, Vermont, 2005
This is very high in fiber and has only one gram of fat.
- In a medium saucepan, combine apple juice and cinnamon; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Stir in bulgur and reduce to low; simmer covered for 10 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed by the bulgur, but the texture is still a little tender and chewy.
- Remove saucepan from heat and let stand for 5 minutes, covered.
- Stir in chopped apple, raisins, and maple syrup. You may add chopped walnuts for added flavor and texture.
- Serve hot as a side dish, cold as a salad or room temperature.
*NOW items available at your local health food store