Adapted from Cooking Light, October 2007
One serving of this vegetarian side dish provides about 10% of daily fiber needs.
Makes 7 half-cup servings
|1 tsp. NOW Real Food® Extra Virgin Olive Oil*|
|1 cup chopped onion |
|3 garlic cloves, minced |
|2 1/3 cups organic vegetable broth |
|1/3 cup uncooked pearl barley |
|1/3 cup uncooked kasha (buckwheat groats) |
|1/3 cup uncooked bulghur |
|1 bay leaf |
|1/2 tsp. kosher salt |
|1/4 cup NOW Real Food® Raw Pecans*|
|1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper |
- Heat olive oil in a 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Add broth and next 5 ingredients (including bay leaf) to pan; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Fluff with a fork; stir in pecans and pepper.
Fat: 4 g
Protein: 2.7 g
Carb: 18.4 g
Fiber: 3.7 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 327 mg
Calcium: 16 mg
*NOW items available at your local health food store